Tuesday, September 6, 2011

An Unexpected Guest


I sit in my temporary home of Turtle Hollow in my leather, high-back, authory chair (as seen in the photo) writing this, my first Hill Harow post. I am currently waist deep in the second installment of The Emblem and The Lantern series, titled, Stirring. I am always amazed at the fickle way my writing mood manifests itself. Meaning that my inspiration comes with much ebbing and flowing.

For the last few months I’ve been at a near stand still with my story. The funny thing is that I know exactly what supposed to happen in the book and yet, recently, when I’ve sat down to draw these ideas from my mind (in much the same way that Dumbledore might pull a memory from his mind and place it into the pensive) I haven’t been able to formulate the appropriate wording. The main idea might be present in what few pitiful passes I make at the nearly blank page, yet the spirit of the narrative is found lacking. Frustrating? Um… a resounding yes!

Then, lo and behold, I wake up on Labor Day and there to greet my sleep-laden eyes is the urge to write. I welcome the Urge with gladness and he and I set off on an adventure of our own. I should proabably note there is another companion who sails on the Sea of Words with Urge and myself and we call him Coffee. Urge decides to stay with me through the following day and together we complete three chapters or nearly 4,000 wonderfully imaginative words (some of the best yet, might I add!). Job well done Urge! Job well done!

And just when you think a friend couldn’t be more giving, the Urge inspires me to write the synopsisand preface to an entirely different novel idea that I’ve been brewing in my noggin for months, nay for upward of twenty years having sparked this idea from dreams I had as a child. Not to fear you readers of E&L, I won’t be directing many more of my creative juices into this book until after I’ve finished telling Ethan and Eisley’s fantastical tale.

Perhaps the last thing I will say about Mr. Urge is that it was he whom gave me the inkling to write this entry. Thanks good friend. You are welcomed to visit as often as you’d like, though I don’t think you are leaving just yet!

Further up and further in,
Dylan, Urge & Coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment