Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Creating an Adventure Story

Hello,

My name is Dylan Higgins. Over the past year I have been writing the first book in a trilogy called The Emblem and The Lantern. Book one is entitled Awakening. I'd briefly like to explain how this project came to be:

About two years ago me and a friend (Mike Sherrard) had decided that it would be fun to author a children's book together. We started kicking around ideas for an illustrated short story concerning a hero and a magic lantern. That idea never really came to fruition as both Mike and myself were to busy to begin. The project sat in a rather dormant state for a year; however, in June of 2008 I began to think on the story again. During the summer months I began to tell my children different stories surrounding the magic lantern all the while making Ethan and Eisley the characters. Through the time spent telling my children about the lantern they became a part of the story which led me to write a synopsis of the first part of their adventure with the lantern. 

It is now June again. One year since I brought the novel idea out into the open again and now I have completed fourteen of the chapters that comprise Awakening. I will be using this blog as a way to share with others the experience of writing my first book. From this site you will be able to discover where many of the influences behind the characters and landscapes in the book. I hope that, through this site you will become interested in the world that is being created through this writing experience. 

Sincerely,
Dylan 

No comments:

Post a Comment